Skip Navigation Links Home International StudentsArriving Soon

Arriving Soon


Congratulations, you're on your way to UCOL! We look forward to meeting you.

Pre-departure guides

Download one of our handy pre-departure guides to help plan your trip. Also see New Zealand government advice on the Get Ready website.



Living in NZ

Student visas
Once you receive an Unconditional Offer of Place to study at UCOL and have paid course fees, you need to apply for a student visa to be able to study in New Zealand. Find out more about student visa rules on the NZ Study + Work website. 

All international students planning to study at UCOL must have Medical and Travel Insurance - a compulsory requirement of The New Zealand Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students. Medical and Travel Insurance must cover you from the beginning of your studies until at least the expiry date of your student visa. The purpose is to cover course related travel, medical care in New Zealand, travel costs related to serious life events (repatriation or expatriation), and death (travel for family members to and from New Zealand, the body and funeral expenses).

All international students are automatically enrolled in the JLT student Plus Scheme, UCOL's preferred insurance provider. This competitively priced Medical and Travel Insurance policy will cover you from departure of your home country to the expiry date of your student visa. This policy charge will be added to your tuition fee invoice at the time of enrolment.

If you choose to purchase your own insurance policy, this charge will be removed when you show your insurance certificate to UCOL at the Student Information Centre. UCOL will need to see the detail of your own insurance policy to ensure that it meets the minimum standards of The New Zealand Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students.

A complete range of fresh meats, poultry and fish is available in New Zealand. Fresh fruit and vegetables are plentiful, and you can get the best variety and prices at specialty vegetable shops.

Ethnic foodstuffs are available from some supermarkets in their international section, and at specialty stores, including the following in Palmerston North:
  • Davis Trading 
  • Dong Shen
  • Hana Mart

All of UCOL's campuses are located within close walking distance of restaurants and food outlets catering to a variety of cuisines.

If you plan on bringing food from your home country, research what is allowed under New Zealand law.

Clothing to bring
New Zealand has four seasons and changeable weather. It's recommended that you bring:
  • Woollen jerseys
  • Waterproof jackets 
  • Covered shoes with rubber soles
  • Sports shoes
You'll have a limited luggage allowance. See Study in New Zealand's tips for packing for a 30kg luggage allowance.

Living in Palmerston North
If you're planning to study at UCOL's Palmerston North campus, find out about the city and surrounding Manawatu region by taking a look at the official tourism website for Manawatu.

Living in Whanganui
If you're planning to study at UCOL's Whanganui campus, find out about the city by taking a look at the official tourism site for Whanganui.


UCOL doesn't arrange accommodation for international students, but we can provide some options nearby campus for you to consider. See our Accommodation Options page.


Working in NZ

Rules and regulations
You may be entitled to do some paid work whilst studying in New Zealand depending on your student visa conditions. To be able to work, you must meet one of seven requirements. The most common requirements are: 

  • your study programme is for at least two years
  • the study leads to a New Zealand qualification that gains points under the New Zealand Skilled Migrant Category; or
  • you are taking an English language course that meets conditions approved by Immigration New Zealand

In addition to UCOL's information on working while studying, find out more about the work rules for students on the NZ Study + Work website

Job search websites
The Careers NZ website can be used as a resource for researching jobs in your field of study and how to apply for jobs in New Zealand. 

Paying tax 
If you intend on working while studying in New Zealand find out about your tax obligations on Inland Revenue's website.