UCOL provides a range of support services to help students with disabilities, impairments, on-going medical conditions, or temporary injuries that affect learning.
Accessing and arranging support
If you think your health or disability may affect your study,
you will need to declare that you have a disability when you enrol in your course, or inform the Student Information Centre that you wish to update your student profile with a change of circumstances.
Needs Assessment interview
The second step is contacting us to arrange a Needs Assessment interview. Prepare for this by bringing medical evidence or supporting documentation of your disability and/or need for equitable support.
During the interview we'll discuss the nature of your disability, educational history and identify effective strategies to support you through your studies at UCOL.
Depending on the outcome of your Needs Assessment interview and timing of upcoming study deadlines, we may work with you to create a personalised support plan, such as alternative arrangements in tests and exams.
Types of support available
- Assistive software programmes/applications
- Digital dictaphones
- Smart pens
- FM Easy Listeners
- Extra time allowance in exams/tests
- Scheduled rest breaks in exams/tests
- Alternative exam/test format
- A reader/writer/note taker
- New Zealand Sign Language interpreter or communicator
- Mobility parking
- Help getting around campus
- Referral to additional support outside UCOL
Phone: 06 952 7001 extn 70223