Note: As a subsidiary of
Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology, UCOL | Te Pūkenga is committed to providing the best learning outcome for you. As part of this, all programmes are currently being reviewed to make them portable, consistent, and closely aligned with the needs of the industry. When published, this course information is correct, but the courses offered may change over time. If you have any questions call an Enrolment Advisor on 0800 468 265.
From 2023, UCOL | Te Pūkenga and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga. So, if you join UCOL | Te Pūkenga in 2023, you will be awarded Te Pūkenga certification. And, if you are a current learner graduating in 2023, you will be awarded a co-branded certificate.
This programme consists of 60 credits. The courses include;
Operational Restaurant Service (20 Credits)
Learn to become a competent food server with advanced skills. The course covers:
- Menu design - factors influencing menu style; types of menus; menu terms; principles of menu design; menus for dietary needs; and upselling skills
- Advanced food service - silver service and other advanced service techniques
- Supervisory food service - styles of service, staff requirements and customer considerations.
Operational Beverage Service (25 Credits)
Learn to become a competent beverage server with advanced skills, and how to monitor and maintain legislative compliance requirements for a hospitality establishment. The course covers:
- Preparation and presentation of espresso and other beverages from an espresso machine - bean-to-cup processes for coffee; storage and handling of products used by a barista; espresso and milk preparation; presentation techniques; faults and corrections in brewing processes; and other beverages, including hot chocolate, chai latte etc.
- Preparation and presentation of tea beverages - harvest and process methods; types of tea; preparation and service of tea; and storage and handling of tea
- Espresso equipment identification, handling and maintenance - equipment types and uses; maintenance; equipment faults; and emergency repairs
- Non-alcoholic beverages - mineral waters; juices; smoothies; preparation and service techniques; and fault identification and correction
- Wines, spirits and liqueurs, beer and cider - production processes; types and styles; preparation and service techniques; and fault identification and correction
- Cocktail mixology - production processes; types and styles; preparation and service techniques; and fault identification and correction
- Hospitality specific legislation - Smoke Free Environments Act; Privacy Act; Innkeepers Act; Consumer Guarantees Act; and Employment Legislation
- Management of licensed premises - nature and effect of alcohol; legal requirements and offences when managing a licensed premise; benefits of responsible service of alcohol; liquor licence criteria and offences against; maintenance of a safe drinking environment as a manager of licensed premises; and service techniques for prohibited persons and slowing of service.
Hospitality Service Standards (15 Credits)
Learn standards of professional practice for advanced food and beverage service. The course covers:
- Hazards within the workplace
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Food safety management
- Food safety plans
- Advanced customer service