Operational Restaurant Service (20 Credits)
Learn to become a competent food server with advanced skills. The course covers:
- Menu design - factors influencing menu style; types of menus; menu terms; principles of menu design; menus for dietary needs; and upselling skills
- Advanced food service - silver service and other advanced service techniques
- Supervisory food service - styles of service, staff requirements and customer considerations.
Operational Beverage Service (25 Credits)
Learn to become a competent beverage server with advanced skills, and how to monitor and maintain legislative compliance requirements for a hospitality establishment. The course covers:
- Preparation and presentation of espresso and other beverages from an espresso machine - bean to cup processes for coffee; storage and handling of products used by a barista; espresso and milk preparation; presentation techniques; faults and corrections in brewing processes; and other beverages, including hot chocolate, chai latte etc.
- Preparation and presentation of tea beverages - harvest and process methods; types of tea; preparation and service of tea; and storage and handling of tea
- Espresso equipment identification, handling and maintenance - equipment types and uses; maintenance; equipment faults; and emergency repairs
- Non-alcoholic beverages - mineral waters; juices; smoothies; preparation and service techniques; and fault identification and correction
- Wines, spirits and liqueurs, beer and cider - production processes; types and styles; preparation and service techniques; and fault identification and correction
- Cocktail mixology - production processes; types and styles; preparation and service techniques; and fault identification and correction
- Hospitality specific legislation - Smoke Free Environments Act; Privacy Act; Innkeepers Act; Consumer Guarantees Act; and Employment Legislation
- Management of licensed premises - nature and effect of alcohol; legal requirements and offences when managing a licensed premise; benefits of responsible service of alcohol; liquor licence criteria and offences against; maintenance of a safe drinking environment as a manager of licensed premises; and service techniques for prohibited persons and slowing of service.
Hospitality Service Standards (15 Credits)
Learn standards of professional practice for advanced food and beverage service. The course covers:
- Hazards within the workplace
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Food safety management
- Food safety plans
- Advanced customer service