The Diploma in Beauty Therapy, Level 5 comprises 121 credits.
Excellent personal presentation is required on this programme at all times. A tunic is provided and must be worn when working in the salon.
To optimise chances of success, a high level of attendance is recommended.
Students who successfully complete the content that makes up each of the International Therapy Examination Council (ITEC) Diplomas will be eligible to apply to sit the ITEC examinations. Each ITEC Diploma examination will cost approximately $200.00 and this will be at the student's own expense.
This diploma qualification requires graduands to have a current first aid certificate. Students enrolled on the diploma via equivalence will also be required to obtain a current first aid certificate before being eligible to graduate.
This programme is only available on a full-time basis.
You'll be involved in running the beauty clinic at UCOL and perform beauty services for the public under the support of your lecturer.
Recognition of prior learning
Applications for Recognition of Prior Learning, including Cross Credit, Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning may be made on the
Recognition of Prior Learning Form
where a student believes all learning outcomes for a course or unit standards have already been met.
It will make the process easier if you prepare the following before you
- National Student Number (NSN) (If you don't have a NSN, you may
request one from NZQA, or you can supply a verified copy of your birth certificate, passport or Whakapapa statement.)
- Evidence of your highest level of academic achievement (and evidence of prior learning, if applicable)
- Evidence that you meet the entry requirements of the programme
- Check if you're eligible for additional support or a
scholarship. If you're 19 years or younger, you may be eligible to enrol in one of
our free Youth Transition programmes.
Note that you will need to provide any verified documents in person, via post or email.
- An Introductory guide to Anatomy and Physiology - Louise Tucker (Approximately $60) (You should already have this book from
Certificate in Beauty Services)
- Practical Electrolysis: The Offical Guide to Electro-epilation - Gill Morris and Janice Brown (Approximately $90)
Recommended text (optional)
- An Introductory Guide to Massage - Louise Tucker (Approximately $60)
- The Art and Science of Spa & Body Therapy - Jane Foulston, Elaine Hall, Fae Major and Maurgerite Wynne (Approximately $85)
Please go to
to order these books. They will be delivered to the UCOL information Centre at no additional cost and can be collected from there at your convenience.
In order to carry out your practical treatments, you are required to purchase the following:
- Electrolysis tweezers $35
- Have an eye test $65
- Additional make-up brushes as required $50
- Electrolysis magnifiers (optional) $140
One or two pairs of black, 3/4 or full-length pants $50.00
One pair of flat, black, enclosed shoes – black $50.00
Stationery (approximately $40)
- Ring binder/s
- Subject dividers
- Pen drive
International ITEC exam (up to $500 depending on the number of additional exams completed)