The Diploma in Interior Design available as a full-time programme of study. It comprises 120 credits.
It is recommended that students are able to use a computer and, specifically, a word-processing program for project and assignment work.
Students must be able to recognise and differentiate between colours. The programme is not recommended for anyone who has difficulty with colour perception, ie, any form of colour blindness. This will affect the ability to successfully complete the programme and/or gain employment in the industry.
Twenty hours of work experience is a compulsory part of the Professional Practice paper.
Your personalised timetable will be available just prior to classes starting, and will comprise a weekly commitment of:
- 21 hours of lecturer supported learning in class
- 14 hours of self-directed learning (your own time spent working to complete your assignments)
Interior Design has four full days of classes a week – lecturer supported hours. If you choose to do part-time work, we recommend a maximum of 10 hours a week
It will make the process easier if you prepare the following before you
- National Student Number (NSN) (If you don't have a NSN, you may
request one from NZQA, or you can supply a verified copy of your birth certificate, passport or Whakapapa statement.)
- Evidence of your highest level of academic achievement (and evidence of prior learning, if applicable)
- Evidence that you meet the entry requirements of the programme
- Check if you're eligible for additional support or a
scholarship. If you're 19 years or younger, you may be eligible to enrol in one of
our free Youth Transition programmes.
Note that you will need to provide any verified documents in person, via post or email.
Recognition of prior learning
Applications for Recognition of Prior Learning, including Cross Credit, Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning may be made on the
Recognition of Prior Learning Form
where a student believes all learning outcomes for a course or unit standards have already been met.
Please note that there are additional costs associated with the Diploma in Interior Design of up to $880.00 as follows:
- x3 8GB pen drives - $39.00
- 4 GB SD card - $20.00
- 8 GB SD card class 10 - $25.00
- Equipment bond for using cameras, tripods, tablets etc outside of class time - $80.00
- Printing - $100.00
- Mounting boards - up to $80.00
- 3M spray mount glue or double-sided tape - up to $60.00
- x2 A4 visual diaries - $30.00
- Miscellaneous stationery
- Mars Micro technical pencil 0.5mm - $8.00
- Mars Micro technical pencil leads HB - $8.00
- Staedtler Rastoplast Eraser 526B20 (black if possible) - $3.00
- A pack of Staedtler pigment liners (0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7) - $24.00
- Helix 30/60 and 45/45 set square pack - $8.60
- Helix circle template - $6.50
- Rotring triangular scale ruler (802020) - $31.80
- 18mm masking tape - $6.95
- x2 Uniball Eye Fine/Medium (black) - $18.00
- Paint brush DV 373 size 4 - $24.00
- Retractable tape measure of 8 metres or longer - $8.00
- x6 ProMarkers - $60.00
- Gormack Graph Paper A3 (50 sheets) 2mm - $13.60
- Pilot pen (Sign plus) - $2.20