UCOL's New Zealand Certificate in Organic Primary Production (Level 3) comprises 50 credits.
Students need to be aware of the physical requirements for operating in the rural workforce. Students will be advised to put any special needs or requirements in writing and advise the Programme Leader before the programme begins.
Your personalised timetable will be available just prior to classes starting, and will comprise a weekly commitment of:
- 17 hours of lecturer supported learning
- 16 hours of self-directed learning (your own time spent on research and study to complete your written assignments)
This is a blended learning course based on an online platform supplemented by three block courses over a long weekend. You can study this course from anywhere in New Zealand. You'll need access to a computer and Internet to complete on-line learning requirements. You can use the computers from any UCOL campus (Palmerston North
The online component consists of informative ebooks and video lectures, supported by online resources. Progression through this content is tracked by quizzes that contribute towards the assessment of the course.
Block course attendance
Attending the three block courses is a compulsory part of the course. UCOL will provide transport to the farms from Palmerston North.
The certificate course has three topics: principles or organic production, production on organic farms, and science of organic production. Each part is supported with online video, ebooks, tutorials and quizzes from the lectures and ties in with three practical block courses to apply learning to practical tasks associated with organic production on New Zealand farms.
Each topic is assessed by portfolio (80%) including quizzes, a test, practical skills, and a research assignment and the other 20% from a report that applies this learning to a research task.
There are no work experience hours for this programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Applications for Recognition of Prior Learning, including Cross Credit, Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning may be made on the
Recognition of Prior Learning Form
where a student believes all learning outcomes for a course or unit standards have already been met.
It will make the process easier if you prepare the following before you
- National Student Number (NSN) (If you don't have a NSN, you may
request one from NZQA, or you can supply a verified copy of your birth certificate, passport or Whakapapa statement.)
- Evidence of your highest level of academic achievement (and evidence of prior learning, if applicable)
- Evidence that you meet the entry requirements of the programme
- Check if you're eligible for additional support or a
scholarship. If you're 19 years or younger, you may be eligible to enrol in one of
our free Youth Transition programmes.
Note that you will need to provide any verified documents in person, via post or email.
While some personal protective equipment is provided by UCOL, students must supply their own gumboots, overalls, wet weather gear and sturdy work shoes/steel cap boots.