At UCOL, we believe that staff development is vital to helping our organisation grow. In order to attract and retain top talent, we want to help staff reach their full potential.
Excellent teaching and support that epitomises UCOL's approach to education is recognised each year through four Annual Staff Awards to the value of $5000 for professional development.
Jointly awarded by UCOL's Staff Council and UCOL, the awards were named after past UCOL staff and reflect those areas of education they were passionate about. The awards are announced at the start of each academic year.
Julia Camden Award
This award is made for recognition of an outstanding contribution to organisational development and support.
- 2015 Winner – Ray Kui – IT Infrastructure Analyst
- 2014 Winner – Gabriela Gutierrez – Administration Assistant, Nurse Education
- 2013 Winner – Audrey Tamanui-Nunn - Kaiāwhina/ Māori student support
- 2012 Winner – Tom Pasley (Post-humous) - Information Sytems Librarian, Student Success Team
- 2011 Winner – Terry Lyon, Site Co-ordinator
- 2010 Winners – Michael Jackson, Student Registry Business Information Analyst; Student Success Team; Click View Team; and John Adams, UCOL Webmaster
- 2009 Winner – Sharon Joliffe - Team Leader Student Services
- 2008 Winners – Angela Hewitt – Campus Manager; Pam Gatchell – Chemistry Technician, Science; and Pam Turner – Technician, Science
Alan Furness Award
This award is made to recognise excellence in teaching and learning.
- 2015 Winner – Gillian Gosper – Lecturer, Beauty and Hairdressing
- 2014 Winner – Nicola Bright – Lecturer, Tertiary Study and Fashion and Beauty
- 2013 Winner – Sheran Merritt – Lecturer, Tertiary Study and Fashion and Beauty
- 2012 Winners – Hans Routers – Lecturer, Nurse Education; and Marie Henderson – Lecturer, Nurse Education
- 2011 Winner – Gina Wagstaffe – Lecturer, Catering and Hospitality
- 2010 Winner – Tim Seaholme – Senior Lecturer, Exercise and Sports Science
- 2009 Winner – Simone Hewson – Lecturer, Hairdressing
- 2008 Winner – Nigel Sadler – Lecturer, Chef Training
Derek Lake Award
This award is made to recognise an outstanding contribution to research at UCOL.
- 2015 Winner – Dr Lukas Dreyer – Associate Professor, Exercise and Sport Science
- 2014 Winner – Sandra Cleland – Senior Lecturer, Business and Computing
- 2013 Winners – Dr Sarah Snell – Associate Head of School, Business and Computing; and Dr Catherine Snell-Siddle – Head of School, Business and Computing
- 2012 Winner – Aaron Steele – Senior Lecturer, Information and Communications Technology
- 2011 Winner – Sonja Dreyer – Senior Lecturer Exercise & Sport Science
- 2010 Winner – Dr Marian Bland – Associate Professor, Nurse Education
- 2009 Winners – Janet Walke – Leader Teaching Excellence; and Paul Demchick – Lecturer, Science
- 2008 Winner – Judy Seccombe – Lecturer, Nurse Education
Gill Presland Award
This is the Beginner's Award for a Lecturer in the First Two Years of Teaching.
- 2015 Winner – Hayden Pritchard – Lecturer, Exercise and Sport Science
- 2014 Winner – Lizzie de Vegt – Lecturer, Music
- 2013 Winner – Anna Ainsworth – Lecturer, Medical Imaging Technology
- 2012 Winner – Jon Bailey – Lecturer, Exercise and Sport Science
- 2011 Winner – Vaughan Antonio – Lecturer, Exercise and Sport Science
- 2010 Winner – Geoffrey Harvey – Lecturer, Nurse Education
- 2009 Winner – Alta Els – Lecturer, Business
- 2008 Winners – Marie Henderson – Lecturer, Nurse Education; Maria Bentley – Lecturer, Exercise and Sport Science; and Bruce Birrell – Lecturer, Built Environment